Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Ladies and Gentlemen, We'd Appreciate Anything You Can Give."

So I have this idea that just won't go away.

You know the guys on the subways who put on the boom box and dance and hang from the ceiling and announce loudly "LADIES, IF YOUR MAN CAN'T DO THIS-- DUMP HIM!" ? And the guy in the Bryant Park station who plays the violin like a retarded five year old, but plays for hours on end and gets fatty-cash for it?

Of course you do.

Someone has to film and archive these things, I've decided. The same way we'd film and record a performance in Central Park or on the stage, someone has to be documenting these things. I refuse to believe that I'm the only one who's thought of this-- or even the first-- and am therefore dedicating my spare time to finding out who the heck is doing it. Because someone must be.

And, on the rare, off-chance that they aren't, starting a grass-roots, fist in the air, General-in-the-Information-Army charge to get it done. Someone must be doing this; it's culture, and it's here, and the kind of thing I would totally waste five hours watching on YouTube and going "oooooh, wow, how hip!"

No comments:

Post a Comment