Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Anime Club: Come Watch a Show with the Librarian in My Purse

So Nancy Pearl came to me today and says (in her little librarian action figure voice):

"So, Clair, I want to watch a movie. We've been working on this giant project all day for the Friendly Neighborhood Wexis CompetitorWe should watch a movie. But I want to watch it with fun people, and for free, and I don't actually want to watch a movie, I want to watch something new and interesting and that I won't think to watch on my own. And anime. And maybe a little bit gay."

And I says to Nancy, I says: "Little lady, have I got a place for you."


Teen Central baby!

The Otaku Take Over Week may be over, but Otaku's live forever, especially when we're talking about Teen Central.

First up was "Rurouni Kenshin" with the fabulous Kamatari, who contrary to what the American Dub taught me, is not a female but is actually gay/cross-dressing/inter-sexed/transgendered/undefined who wants to be a woman so that he can get this man he's in love with fall for him, but recognizes that this will never happen. So instead, he tries to be a good killer in his Unrequited-Love's service.

Which makes him as a character so much more interesting, and as Miss Beth pointed out, more than a little tragic.
 
Fun Fact I Learned: In a conversation in Japanese, you can go for the entire thing without ever mentioning a gender specific pronoun or possessive. Leading to all the confusion in anime/mangas.


(Also, the dudes look like really pretty girls. This probably doesn't help.)


Next up was an anime that all of my Google skills can't find-- possibly Gintama, maybe not. I'm a bad otaku.

What you need to know? Instead of Matthew Perry coming to Japan and opening it up for trade, aliens did.

So now there are aliens. And humans. Some of those humans cross-dress, some of them make robots that vomit sushi, some of them are forcefully ejected from hostess establishments by their nostrils.


It's all good.

Fun Fact I Learned: Matthew Perry opened up Japan for trade. I should have paid more attention in school.

Finally came Revolutionary Girl Utena. There's this pink haired chick in a uniform, right? And she wants to be a price. And a lot of rose petals.

And then there's a bunch of a-holes at her school who want to molest this purple haired chick. And a lot of rose petals. 

And then there's a tower and the worst song ever written, and a tower shaped like a giant screw. And a lot of rose petals.


It's really gay. I liked it. There's also a lot of awesome dialogue, unrequited love, noble intentions, bad guys, bitch slaps, and sparkles.


Teen Central does Anime Club ever Wednesday at 5. So you should go, because there are a bunch of awesome people there. See?     


This month is also a special combination of the Gay Straight Alliance and Anime Club. Come to the GSA this Friday at 5 and watch something awesome with us.

There might be Xena, there might be Freaks and Geeks there might be Buffy; who knows?


(You can use the link to vote. *cough* For Xena *cough*)

No comments:

Post a Comment