Monday, March 15, 2010

In Which I See Kick Ass and Create a Narrative for a Librarian Action Figure

So the lovely Peter and Petrina (or P2E2 as no one calls them) gave me Nancy Pearl in a Box for Christmas. And while she has been doing lovely in the box, I've decided that just like spring means I can show my legs again, it should mean that Nancy gets a little play time. 


Presenting the first installment of Nancy Pearl's Travels.

(Dear Real Nancy Pearl, please don't sue me.  I love you and your sensible shoes so very much.)

After getting paid last Tuesday, Nancy and I are broke. Mad broke. Empty sad wallet broke. How, I asked, will we have an awesome time tonight? With no moneys for spending? How, Nancy, how? 

No moneys does not deter Nancy Pearl, LIBRARIAN ACTION FIGURE!



The lovely Michelle in her loveliness asked me "Hey, Clair, you wanna come see Kick Ass with me and P2E2?"


For those of you asking, what is Kick Ass?





Picture this trailer, only where the little girl says "Let's see what you can do" the line actually goes "Okay, you c&nts, let's see what you can do." And then everyone dies bloody.


Yeah. You want to see this movie. And so did I. So Nancy tagged along for the ride because my purse is spacious that way, and information (and movies) want to be free.

The screening was a partnership between Lions Gate and UGO, with Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr. doing a panel at the end to answer questions and generally be awesome. After a slight mix-up with the tickets (apparently it's really hard to spell "Tatara" and "Manning." Who knew?) we ran into a fellow Comrade in Geek who helped us in and got us settled.



Nancy was pleased with her lovely ticket.

And with the delicious caramel covered popcorn. Nom nom nom, goes Nancy Pearl.

Kick Ass was hands down the most amazing superhero movie I've seen since The Dark Knight. It's the kind of movie that if it wasn't so well done could turn into a parody of everything the superhero genre is about, but it doesn't. Instead it's a wonderful hero story-- everyone can be a hero, everyone can stand for their fellow man.

(Though some people get to do that with bazookas. Kinda jealous.)

Everyone was cast extremely well, the violence was amazing and over the top and perfect for this kind of thing. I cried (more than once), I laughed myself silly, and Michelle and I have officially decided that this exchange is going to be rhetoric around the volunteer table at C2E2:

"You'll have to screw someone." 

"Tony!" 

"Yeah, screw Tony!" 

"Yeah, fuck Tony."

"Tony's a scumbag."

At the end, Millar and JRJ took questions. Millar has a Scottish accent and is a dreamy blond. JRJ looks like the thug with a heart of gold in every movie/soap opera/book series I ever watched/read/read the fanfiction for. We're talking a cross between John Marcone and Sonny Corinthos (sans the pout). 

Movie over, a great time had by all, and Nancy knew that if the evening was going to end on a high note, there was someone she needed to meet. 

Blurry but heartfelt. (She's giving a thumbs up, not picking a booger, I swear.)

So yeah. Kick Ass. When it comes out, spend the money to go and see it. So worth every penny that I didn't have to pay due to the kindness of Michelle, P2E2, and Lance Freshness.

1 comment:

  1. You. Are. Awesome. I keep forgetting to read this thing but when I remember I'm pleasantly surprised. I miss you and your wit oh so very much. Sorry we haven't been able to talk lately it's not for lack of want. Hope all is with you and I hope to talk to you soon.

    Love,
    You know who

    ReplyDelete