Monday, April 12, 2010

Also Coming to C2E2: Flat Stanley

So unless you haven't been paying attention, you terribly unobservant person, you will have noticed that there are only two places on the planet that I am currently willing to do free work for:

1) Reed Exhibitions
2) Teen Central 

Because not only do both volunteer experiences give me great friends and warm fuzzy feelings, but both are heavily entrenched in one thing: Geeks.

So with the approach of C2E2 and my upcoming volunteer awesomeness-time happening in less than 48 hours, I am proud to announce another guest who will be attending Chicago through the courtesy of Clair's two feet: Flat Stanley.

The major premise of Flat Stanley is this: So there's this kid, right? And he's got neglectful parents who don't secure his bulletin board to the wall tightly enough, so in the middle of the night it falls on him.

Instead of making him horrifically ugly, or giving him grounds for an emancipation law suit, it crushes him flat! Like paper and stuff! So now Flat Stanley can go everywhere paper can and it's awesome!

Then some teachers got involved and started the Flat Stanley Project, where students make a Flat Stanley, write a journal for him, then shove him in an envelope with the papers and send him off somewhere far away and exotic to learn more about other cultures and encourage literacy.

This combines three of my favorite things-- travel, literacy, shoving things in envelopes. I'm sold.

Miss Beth is interning at Teen Central, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and the children are above average. And knowing that I'm going to Chicago (because I've been talking about it obnoxiously for about six months now) she helped the librarians make a Flat Stanley, laminate him, and give him to me to take pictures of him with people dressed as Spiderman!

There is no shortage of these folks at C2E2. I predict epic awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment