Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mary Russell: Fictional Character You Should Totally Love

So my folks used to have this rule when we went to the bookstore-- I could get one crap book (defined by my father as anything I could read in less than three hours) for every serious book (defined by me as something my father wanted me to read that I totally knew would be mad boring).

This led to a lot of me reading Nancy Drew books hidden inside "The Black Pearl." Bwah ha ha, take that parental system of promoting literacy. I totally played you.

But bottom line: whatever crap boring book I had to pretend to read to get The Beekeeper's Apprentice when I was in 5th Grade? Totally worth it. Because that's where I met Mary Russell.



Okay so here's the deal:

Mary Russel is young, Jewish, and super-brill. And she's wandering around Sussex one afternoon in 1915, steps on Sherlock Holmes, and becomes his new partner/BFF/eventual-jail-bait-wife.

Now I know what you're saying-- Clair, this sounds like bad fanfiction. Like bad Mary Sue fanfiction where she's going to turn out to have powers or something and secretly be a fairy princess and her middle name is Rain or some crap.

But you're wrong! Because against all odds it turns out to be awesome! Furreals, guys-- really awesome!

Reasons She's Awesome


1) Hot Chicks Wear Glasses: Dude, she's a female Sherlock Holmes. That's like taking awesome and making it hot and blond! Why wouldn't you love that?

2) She's Well-Written: I kind of don't like anything else Laurie R King writes. But for some reason the Mary Russell series is like my favorite thing ever and I've reread every one of these books dozens of times and they keep getting better the more I read them.

3) It's History and Junk
Not like how Xena was history (did you know that Pices happened because Xena threw a fish into space? True story.) but real honest to goodness history. Like, historical maps and conflicts and information you'll never read/listen to in history class. The growth of Palestine, the trials of India under imperialist rule, the changes of social class systems brought about by the first world war-- fascinating stuff you won't even notice you're learning until you've already learned it!


4) King Doesn't Mess Holmes Up
Because as a Holmesian purist from my earliest years, and a Bretthead to boot, I know I logically should hate this concept. Except King writes both Holmes and Russell as completely believable characters, and manages to create her own cannon without destroying the tone of the original Holmes stories and the character Doyle created.

It works. I don't know how, but it totally does.

Having finished the 10th book in the series, "The God of the Hive," I can say that this is probably the one area in my life where my fifth grade self had taste. Not like how I thought The Rugrats movie was the pinnacle of great film making, or how plaid skirts were a good look.

Real taste. Literary taste. Go forth and share that taste. Because it's awesome (and elementary).

/puns.


14 comments:

  1. I found your blog linked through Laurie R King's Facebook page. How weird is it to know she read your blog about her books? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no sweetie, you made me feel old again. The Rugrats movie? Oh boy!

    I haven't read this series yet (it's on my goodreads) but it's awesome when you can find an author that doesn't totally bastardize something that is considered canon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in 9th grade when I found Russell; I had a giftcard and I bought the first four books all in one go. I ended up staying awake waaaay into the night for several days just to get them all read-- well worth the sleepy, staggery fog I was in each morning, haha.

    I kind of don't like anything else Laurie R King writes. But for some reason the Mary Russell series is like my favorite thing ever

    Yes, THIS. I recommend the Russell books to anybody I know with even a modicum of literary discernment, but when they start asking about King's other work I have to confess I've never been able to get into it. I've tried SO. HARD. but it just doesn't seem to be to my taste.

    I was talking with a friend about Russell not long ago, and she observed that Russell is the perfect example of how a Mary Sue (and Russell really does tick every single box to qualify, from her phenomenal capability to her good looks to her Tragic Past) doesn't need to feel like a Sue at all, provided she's as supremely well-written as Russell. It's all in the delivery, really, and King delivers her characters exquisitely, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog the same way as Shirley and am in a word - delighted. Bravo! I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog, completely by a happy accident and gotta say...while the Russell-Holmes are my favorites of King's books, I like and have read anything that she writes. I'm about half-way through God of the Hive (just got it yesterday and will finish it tonight!) and it's proving to be just as good as the others.
    Thanks! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of this. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I'd like to think Russell might have watched some Xena episodes at some point, if only in bemused fascination. I may have to ask her about it on twitter: twitter.com/mary_russell. :)

    BTW--you should come to Laurie's Virtual Book Club and say howdy sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, me too -- found your blog via the Laurie R. King page on Facebook. Congrats to you on having a unique blogging voice...and I've never read anything of Ms. King's except the Holmes/Russell novels, so I can't really compare them to her other work. But Russell IS a fabulous strong female character - and I'd recommend the books to anyone!

    Keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you via the Laurie R. King facebook fanpage (and then went and commented on your RDA post first? For shame!)
    Loved this post. Love the Mary Russell series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the snark/recognize the aweseomeness that is Mary Russell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *slow claps*

    Outstanding. I too followed here from Laurie R. King's Facebook page, and shall now be following your little blog/peek into the world of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your blog, thanks for turning me on to/giving me all those Russell books. You are awesome and I'm not just saying that because I'm your (twenty-three hours of labor) mother!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to say, I didn't find your blog on FB.

    And your mom is awesome.

    ReplyDelete