Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Professional Org. Memberships

I have them. I am now a member of:

AALL-- American Association of Law Librarians
ALA-- American Library Association
-Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Round Table
-Federal and Armed Forces Libraries Round Table
-Library Research Round Table
ACRL-- Association of College and Research Libraries
-College Libraries Committee
-University Libraries Committee
-Law and Political Science Committee
NYLA-- New York Library Association
YALSA-- Young Adult Library Services Association

And paying for all but one of them all by my lonesome. After a wonderful conversation yesterday with a law librarian from Thompson and Knight I learned the following:

"It's not who you know. People say that, but it's not true. It's not who you know, it's who you can keep thinking about you, and what they think. Every job I've ever gotten was because I joined local professional organizations and went to things and spread my face around and let people know I was looking for a job. And I've gotten fired a lot in my life-- trust me on this."

Good advice, kindly mentor. Good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment